Hello TDMP Members and Supporters!
THANK YOU for your continued support of TDMP. Below are just some of the projects and initiatives we have implemented … and there’s so much more we want to do!
- We worked with diabetic individuals to manage diabetes by teaching them about diabetes and how to manage the disease through healthy eating and increased physical activities. We teach them how to take their blood sugars and understand the results. Also how to take notes so that they can relate results to their medical providers. We provide healthy meals at each meeting and respond to the many questions that they may have.
- We worked with three schools to provide breakfasts for those that do not eat before going to school.
- We provided baseball equipment to encourage increased physical activities.
- We collaborated with the University of Minnesota to bring the principals from Wakefield and Hastings Primary Schools to the University campus for two weeks in 2016 where we conducted seminars for sustainably developing access to food for the children in four primary schools in the parish of Trelawny, Jamaica, W.I.
- We collaborated with the University to conduct a small nutritional assessment on children in three primary schools and one high school in the parish of Trelawny, Jamaica, W.I.
- We have developed a plan to establish a schoolyard farming project in our project as a strategy to improve food security, i. e. adequate healthy food for primary school children in the area.
- We have been sharing our findings with the present administration in Jamaica and are happy to note that schoolyard farming is gaining traction among relevant leaders in the government.